Who We AreThe Congregational Church in Killingworth, United Church of Christ opens our doors to all those seeking to find a safe, but invigorating place for spiritual life, growth, fellowship and service. No matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here. New Here?Give Online
Our Mission & Vision
Our Mission is to Help Connect People to Faith
Our church welcomes all those who seek a safe and uplifting place for spiritual life, growth, fellowship, and worship. As members of the United Church of Christ, we are united in spirit and are inspired by God’s grace.
We welcome all, love all, and seek justice for all.
The Congregational Church in Killingworth is blessed with leaders expressing the love of God through their dedicated service to the ministry, it’s people and the community
Our Pastor Joan Cooper Burnett
“The message I hope to convey is one of love, empowerment and the joy and freedom of living in Christ.”
Pastor Joan is passionate about delivering relevant messages about Christ, bringing hope, increasing faith, promoting resiliency and transforming the lives of people. She is devoted to her relationship with God and empowering others to reach their full potential.
Pastor Joan holds a Master of Divinity from Yale Divinity School, Master of Education in Human Resource Education from Boston University, and a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Tennessee at Martin. The Reverend Joan Cooper Burnett is an ordained minister in the American Baptist Churches, USA.
Robert & Joann Zamparo Rimmer
Trustee Chair • Church Moderator
Matt & Christine Link
Christian Education: Youth & Children's Ministry
Richard & Susan Otto
Outreach Ministry • Women's Fellowship
Ushers & Men's Group Chair
The Story of Our Church
On May 8, 1735, the town of Killingworth was divided into two Ecclesiastical Societies by an act of the Connecticut General Assembly. The Ecclesiastical Society in New England was the extension of religious privileges in the formation of a new church congregation resulting from the division of the town. The society then assumed responsibility for the religious affairs, schools and cemeteries that the town had previously exercised. The southern society resulting from the division is now Clinton, while the northern society, then North Killingworth, became present-day Killingworth. The new society built its first meetinghouse in 1736 and settled its first pastor two years later.
A new meetinghouse replaced the first in 1743; both were located near the intersection of the present Routes 80 and 81. The third (and present) meetinghouse was raised in 1817 and completed in 1820. The church as it was in 1895 is pictured here. In 1818, the church and state were separated by law. The Ecclesiastical Society and the Congregational Church were united into one organization and incorporated under Connecticut statutes in 1891. The Parish Hall was built onto the back of the church building in 1959, and the Old Town Hall building was purchased in 1966. In 1961, the Congregational Church in Killingworth voted to become a member of the United Church of Christ.
Our Pipe Organ
After many years of using a bass viol to provide music during the Sunday service, the church voted during a special meeting in 1855 to purchase a melodeon. Then, in 1875, General William S. Pierson and his sister Miss Olivia Pierson, the grandchildren of Deacon Abraham Pierson of Killingworth, gave to the church a gift of a beautiful tracker organ. Its builder, Edwin Lafayette Holbrook of East Medway, Massachusetts, dedicated the pipe organ on September 2, 1875, with an exhibition of the instrument. It is made of black walnut with pipes decorated in blue and gold. This organ is now of considerable historical value. It was fully restored in 1969, and rededicated with a recital in 1971.
Edwin Lafayette Holbrook of East Medway, Massachusetts built and donated the pipe organ in 1875. The historical organ is made of black walnut with pipes decorated in blue and gold.
Old Town Hall
Behind the Congregational Church in Killingworth is a building known as the Old Town Hall which was built in 1881 and was used by the Agricultural Society until the building was sold in 1910 to the Killingworth Grange. The building became the Town Hall when the town purchased it from the Grange in 1923 for $1.00, with the Grange reserving the right to have its meeting in the building for a reasonable rental fee. In 1965, the town bought a new building to use as Town Hall and in 1966 sold the old Town Hall to the Congregational Church. Today, the restored building is the home of the non-profit, Green Hill Martial Arts.
The Old Town hall is also listed as one of Connecticut’s historic buildings. To learn more click here.
In the spring of 2004, a stone labyrinth was installed at the edge of the woods, near the Memorial Garden. It is a classical 7 circuit labyrinth formed of 1,353 small stones. A labyrinth is an invaluable spiritual tool. Walking its path is a way to help center one’s mind and spirit in meditation and prayer. Unlike a maze, a labyrinth has no choices with only one path leading in and the same path leading back out again. This makes the labyrinth walk one of peaceful contemplation and focus. All are welcome to come and walk our labyrinth. If you would like to bring a Youth Group or other small group, please call the church office first at (860) 663-1789 to check availability.